Saturday, November 25, 2006

Iron sharpens iron


Scripture tells us that "Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another..." Words from Solomon in Proverbs 27:17. So what is my point and what does this have to do with art? When I am cutting something either wood, plaster, stone, cement, clay whatever the material, I need a tool that is harder than the material I am cutting. I would not use a plastic knife to whittle a piece of wood for instance. I would use a steel knife. And I would use an appropriate material to sharpen my blade. The material I would use would be as hard or harder than my steel blade and would sharpen it. In the same manner, if I do not regularly exchange thoughts and ideas with others of similar maturity in Christian fellowship what I hear God speaking in my life and listen to what they hear God speaking in theirs I will begin to grow dull. As Christians we were meant to function in community with one another. We were told to bear one another's burdens and pray for one another. When you put on the whole armor or God, (Ephesians 6:13-18)did you ever notice there is not armor mentioned for your backside? That is because you are supposed to be covered by your brothers and sister in Christ who are to be watching your back in prayer and admonition.

No comments: