Saturday, February 17, 2007

Kairos/Chronos


In His time, not our time. Jesus said, "This then is how you should pray: Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven." Matt. 5:9-10 "There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven." Eccles:3:1 In my life, I have spent a lot of time waiting for the fulfillment of God's personal promises to me. Waiting for an opening for a teaching position in my field: a year. Waiting for the right man to come into my life to be my husband: thirty years. Waiting for the first child to be conceived and born: thirty four years and second child: thirty six years and now waiting to become a pastor. Some of the things I have waited for I will probably never see on earth, but will in heaven: a cure for the Aspergers disorder that afflicts my son, a new spine for the disintegrating one I currently use and claim as my own, relief for the unrelenting depression my husband experiences that medication has not touched.

In Luke 24: 45 the risen Christ appears to the disciples and eats fish with them. He opens their minds to the scriptures and promises that they will receive power from His Father after He leaves. After walking with them towards Bethany, He blesses them and is taken up into heaven in front of them. I can only imagine what that must have been like and how time must have seemed to have "stood still" when He was with them but when He was gone, I can imagine that they may have been wondering how long they were going to have to wait for this power that He had promised?

Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven... Lord, in your time. In Your time may it be spring again and the deep freeze of the arctic air recede upward back to it's place and leave us, allowing the snow to melt and the grass to green again. In our relationships, in Your time, may the flame of the Holy Spirit thaw the deep freeze of our hearts and may we turn our faces to the Son.

No comments: